Innovative wargame rules for the Wars of the Roses
Delivering period characteristics without undue complexity
High-quality rules, scenario books, PDFs, game cards & digital downloads
“I’m totally an ‘imagin-nation’ wargamer (my campaigns are always historically based armies with fantasy countries/maps). But even to me, the ToR scenario books are truly fantastic – an excellent blend of good research, period understanding and practical gaming ideas. Great stuff! Kudos to all involved!
“… playing the battle of Northampton, the game swung backwards and forwards .. It is a testimony to the quality of the rules that both sides spent the entire game thinking they were just about to win.”
“…Having used several rule sets, I would say, these are (finally) the rules I am looking for…..”
About the Game
Test of Resolve requires only one twelve-sided die (D12) per side – and your figures! The game plays out with a small deck of cards representing the opposing factions. These cards are designed to introduce an innovative, realistic and exciting unpredictability to the game flow — and remind the players that commanders had little control of events when the fighting started!
The historical scenarios are typically completed in 1 to 2 hours, and all are designed to be played on a 180 x 120cm (6’ x 4’) table with 28mm (or smaller) figures.
WotR – Rule Book (Softcover)
Glossy wargaming rules for the Wars of the Roses, in a soft cover binding.
Watch our latest videos, and videos about us, to learn more about our rules, gameplay, and other miscellanea.
There’s a walkthrough of the rules here.
Game Design Criteria
- The rules reflect and encourage the nature of warfare in this period.
- Games are playable with figure sizes up to 28mm.
- Games are able to be completed in an evening — from 1 to less than 3 hours, depending on the scale of the engagement.
- Historical scenarios are playable on a 180 x 120cm (6’ x 4’) table with 28mm figures (and, of course, smaller scale ones).
- Any historical (or fictitious) scenario has a high degree of replayability.
- The rules are very suitable for solo play and for multiplayer gaming.
- The rules also cover:
- Continental & Irish mercenaries
- Unreliable Commanders and Identity Confusion
- Comprehensive terrain rules, particularly defensive positions, towns & rivers
- The gaming experience is fun!